The Post-Natal Mum
Having a baby is life changing in many ways. Whether it is the first or last one, you mothers are expected to be ready for action. You become the master of multitasking, forward planning and the queen of patience. All this on little or interrupted sleep and with a body that is just recovering from major physiological changes.
So it is ok to think about yourselves and not just the baby. Because if you are not well how can you give the best care to your baby? Let us osteopaths help you as much as we can through some of these emotional and physical changes. After birth, it will take around 6 weeks for your pelvic organs and uterus to return to their normal state. However it can take 3 months or more for other systems to recover, especially musculo-skeletal structures such as pelvic floor, abs, spine and pelvis. Your recovery will be dependant on the number of existing deliveries, the difficulty of the birth and method used, your fitness and also you genetic background. Common conditions for the post partum women:
- spinal and pelvic pain.
- Abdominal discomfort due to scarring following a c-section
- Pelvic floor and coccyx pain (tearing or episiotomy)
- shoulder, neck, wrist and breast soreness related to feeding.
- Urinary stress incontinence
- Pain during intercourse
- Diastasis recti Osteopathy can help bring balance back to your body and alleviate certain symptoms by using a wide range of soft tissue techniques, visceral release and spinal mobility. We can give you advice on breastfeeding, self massage, posture and exercises for your abs.